Period 4/5 Writing 8th Grade
Unit Focus: Arguments
- Argument Paragraph: Should zoos be abolished?
- Argument Essays Topics (students choose one):
- Should smoking cigarettes be made illegal?
- Should P.E. be an optional class for middle and high school students?
- The driving age should increase to 18 years of age.
- Is it necessary to reduce the number of working hours to 25 per week?
- Stress is most effectively dealt with using humor.
- Beauty standards of today cause unhealthy attitudes towards the human body.
Skills taught in this unit:
- Finding reliable resources during research
- Forming notes that are well-organized and purposeful
- Categorizing notes into main ideas to form body paragraphs
- Developing a one sentence thesis statement
- Writing intriguing introduction and conclusion paragraphs
- Revising for concise sentences
- Revising to include a variety of purposeful sentence structures (simple, compound, complex, compound-complex)
- Appropriate placement of commas
- Quoting correctly with explanations and in-text citations
- Paraphrasing with explanations and in-text citations
- Submitting MLA formatted essays which include a Works Cited page
- Forming commentary that argues the writer's claim